Front shocks, springs, and lower control arms have been assembled and are temporarily attached until more front suspension parts arrive from Subaru and Factory Five. There have been a few issues with parts not fitting together properly and/or easily, but nothing that a little grinding, drilling, or a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet couldn’t fix!
I had a number of assembly questions that could easily be answered by seeing a completed 818 in person. So, I decided that I should make my first visit up to Factory Five Racing in Wareham, Massachusetts. As it turns out, the owner of FFR, Dave Smith, hosts an annual Valentine’s Day weekend open house called Moochfest. Of course, it turned out to be the coldest weekend of the year, so this former Yankee had to dig deep into his South of the Mason-Dixon Line winter closet to find my rabbit fur-lined hat for the trip back up north.
I flew up on Friday and met my dad, who drove down from Maine, and we stayed with my brother and new niece for a Three Baker Men and a Baby family bonding weekend. We then visited FFR a day early to see the place without the Moochfest crowds, which worked out because we had the place to ourselves. Craig, the FFR marketing man, let us have our way with (hey now) a black 818 Coupe in the showroom. The coupe is the newest member of the 818 family, which they introduced at SEMA 2015.
On Saturday, we attended Moochfest and mingled with the masses for a few hours of cool cars, hot pizza, and below-freezing temps. It was a great trip and I got a lot of my build questions answered. I’m sure one day I will bring my completed 818 back up for another visit…but I’ll probably shoot for the summer open house next time!
Now that I’ve gone the new engine route, I don’t seem to know where to stop! You may have seen the Killer B Motorsports oil pan, pickup, and windage tray that I put on the old engine. That thing is a work of art, but it sure hangs low in the car, and I believe it will cause clearance issues when I try to button up the underside of the car.
For the new engine, I decided to go with a dry sump system instead. So, I called up Phil at Element Tuning for a solution where he sells a kit for the Subaru. I ordered one without plumbing since the 818 application will be different than stock. Most of the kit arrived today, so I got right down to installing the pan on the engine.