Dry Sump Oil Pan

Now that I’ve gone the new engine route, I don’t seem to know where to stop! You may have seen the Killer B Motorsports oil pan, pickup, and windage tray that I put on the old engine. That thing is a work of art, but it sure hangs low in the car, and I believe it will cause clearance issues when I try to button up the underside of the car.

For the new engine, I decided to go with a dry sump system instead. So, I called up Phil at Element Tuning for a solution where he sells a kit for the Subaru. I ordered one without plumbing since the 818 application will be different than stock. Most of the kit arrived today, so I got right down to installing the pan on the engine.

Engine Reassembly

I’m back to getting the new engine assembled. I’ve completed installing the oil pump, water pump, thermostat, AVCS solenoids, cam position sensors, crank position sensor, oil pressure switch, knock sensor, cam pulleys, timing belt, and tensioner. So far, so good!

Shiny New Valve Covers

I couldn’t bear to put the crusty old valve covers on the new engine because they looked terrible! (They were so bad that I don’t even have any before pictures to share.) So, I did what any crazed wrencher would do…I sent them off to be polished at Best Metal Polishing in Lilburn, GA. Now I can work on the engine and shave at the same time while looking in the mirror-like finish! You’ll be seeing more of these shots as I put the engine back together and place it back in the car.