Now that the front wheel hub has been separated (RR Front Bearings Part 2) into two parts, we can work on getting to the bearings that are inside the inner hub portion.
Part 3: Removing the bearing cage, race, and sleeve.
1. First, remove the bearing cage from the hub using some industrial snippers.
2. Cut the plastic ring and the individual bearings fall right off the bearing cage.
3. Now the outer bearing race can be removed using a bearing puller and vise.
4. With a few turns of the bearing puller, the bearing race should slide off easily.
5. The bearing sleeve is pushed out with the press and the inner bearings released.
6. Up next…replacing the old bearing with the new bearings.